Spanish Torrijas Recipe
During Easter in Majorca we like to prepare Torrijas, a typical dessert from mainland Spain which can also be enjoyed in many restaurants of Majorca.
Preparation time: 60 minutes
- 1 litre of milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 dessert spoons of cinnamon
- 5 table spoons of sugar
- 4 eggs
- Olive oil
- 1 baguette of french bread
It is an easy dessert to prepare which can be eaten both cold or hot and even kept in the fridge for up to 4 days. It may remind you of very sweet Bread and Butter Pudding.
If you are using a french baguette, it is advisable that you use it after a couple of days, after it starts to go hard. Cut the baguette into 1cm slices, then prepare all the other steps before you start cooking them:
- Heat the milk with the cinnamon and sugar and leave to the side, do not leave to fully cool.
- Beat the eggs in a deep plate.
- Put the oil in a frying pan and heat.
- Dip the slices of bread into the milk till softened (but be careful that it does not desintegrate) and put to drip the extra milk
- Dip the milked slices in the egg
- Put to fry in very hot oil
- Place the fried slices on a tray.
Prepare to serve them (there is 2 options):
- Boil the milk leftovers and pour over each slice just before serving
- Heat 2 spoonsfuls of honey with a bit of water and pour over each slice just before serving
Now all is left is to enjoy this lovely dessert, but be aware of the calories 😉