Majorcan Almond Cake Recipe (Gató d’Ametlla)
Majorca is well known for its almond trees, especially during late winter, around February / March, when they are seen covered in white or pink flowers. This traditional almond cake recipe is used throughout the year and often served with vanilla ice cream.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 5 eggs
- 165gr icing sugar
- 1 lemon
- 165gr ground almond
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Majorcan people use their fruit to prepare cosmetic creams, drinks, meals and desserts.
Here we introduce you to the traditional recipe of Almond Cake which is called “Gató d’Ametlla”. This cake recipe is gluten free, so it is a great option as a dessert for celiacs.
It is prepared in 10 minutes and ready after approximately one and a half hours.
- Preheat the oven at 150ºC and grease a metallic baking tin with butter.
- Separate the whites from the yolks and whisk the whites until hard peaks form (if it is not to maximum thickness it will not cook properly).
- Mix the egg yolks and the sugar, add the ground almond, cinnamon and the grated lemon rind.
- Whip both together manteining the hard peaks of the egg whites and pour into the baking tin.
- Cook in the oven for 50 minutes. Stop the oven and leave the “Gató” to cool slowly inside the oven.
This Majorcan Almond Cake is served cold with a scoop of ice-cream (preferably Almond flavour).
Happy easy, traditional cooking and “bon profit”!